Provides expert advice to Methanex USA Services LLC in all areas of the operation of the Geismar facilities, with particular focus on environmental monitoring and compliance, waste management and reporting programs.
Responsible for ensuring the environmental standards of Methanex USA Services LLC are achieved through the continuous development, improvement, implementation and maintenance of Methanex’s environmental monitoring and compliance procedures.
- Develops and maintains environmental aspects of the Methanex hazard register
- Identifies requirements for further risk assessment as appropriate
- Maintains professional knowledge and awareness of technical developments in the management of environmental hazards
- Benchmarks with industry and Methanex peers to identify industry best practice and determine suitability
- Promotes environmental awareness and compliance through communication and training of environmental programs.
- Develops and implements Responsible Care© training packages ensuring that all employees are trained in and understand the Responsible Care ethic and Environmental Management System requirements.
- Responds to environmental incidents, providing advice and investigation support.
- Proactively looks for continuous improvements to Methanex environmental controls to ensure continuous reduction in environmental risks
- Maintains environmental procedures.
- Supports regular environmental monitoring to ensure that Methanex complies with all statutory requirements.
- Reports on Methanex USA’s environmental performance to regulatory bodies, providing all required data and information.
- Applies the Environmental Management System to reflect the Methanex Corporation standard and industry best practices.
- Supports the Responsible Care Manager in maintaining and renewing contracts
- Maintains the company legislative compliance system to enable key contacts to initiate change – ensuring compliance.
- Liaises (in person or via team) with outside organizations and government agencies to ensure Methanex USA complies with current and changing relevant legislation and makes submissions on proposed changes.
- Communicates proposed changes / updates as defined in the Legislative Compliance System
- Site coordinator for regulatory agency inspections
- Utilizes knowledge to supports applications for new or revised operating permits and operating permit renewals
- Supports the Responsible Care Manager to maintain compliance with USA’s Hazardous Substances legislation.
- Ensures procedures are in place and kept current for hazardous material management
- Maintains Methanex’s GHS compliant Material Safety Data Sheet system, ensuring staff are familiar with its use.
- Acts as the New-Chemicals on-site administrator.
- Provides expert advice on the handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Participates in and coordinates internal audits to ensure ISO 9001 compliance
- Works with managers and supervisors to prepare for audits and develop closeout audit actions for all internal and external audits.
- Develops and monitors processes to ensure adequate preparation for successful Responsible Care© verifications
- Assists with preparation for Global Responsible Care© Audits
- Participates as required in environmental audits of other global Methanex locations
- Participates in supplier qualification audits as required
- Assists the Responsible Care Manager in the implementation of sustainability strategy.
- Provides advice and establishes systems for the handling and disposal of waste material.
- Develops, implements and maintains an effective waste management program including record keeping and waste reduction.
- Assesses waste disposal companies that are used for the treatment or disposal of Methanex’s wastes, carrying out audits as identified by Methanex’s Vendor Assessment program.
- Develops and maintains the Geismar site work process and procedures for compliance with the LDAR regulatory requirements
- Manages and coordinates the contract company providing LDAR monitoring services.
- Develop and deliver training on environmental compliance to Methanex employees and contractors on topics such as permit limitations, waste segregation, release reporting and other relevant topics
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism, demonstrated through feedback from team and leaders
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic
- Bachelors Degree in Environmental Engineering, or related field from an accredited instituion
- 5 years' experience in an environmental engineer role, chemical manufacturing experience preferred. Experience working with a regulatory agency will be considered.
- Previous experience in Environmental Auditing
- HAZWOPER, DOT, LDAR, Waste Water Operator and RCRA training desired
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to liaise appropriately with internal and external clients, agencies and stakeholders at all levels
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, and adaptability.
- Ability to work within in a team environment as well as independently, with minimum supervision.
- Capacity to exercise sound judgment; initiative; and problem solving skills.
By clicking "Apply Now" you will be redirected to the Louisiana Works website to apply for this position.